Papaya is loved for its sweet taste and impressive nutritional profile. However, the seeds of papaya are often discarded as they interfere with the joy of eating this delicious fruit. However, eating papaya seeds might actually be beneficial for your health. Let us have a look at whether you should eat papaya seeds or simply enjoy the flesh of the fruit.
Is it safe to eat papaya seeds?
Seeds of some fruits are not just inedible but also harmful. Hence, it is important to first check the safety of papaya seeds. Eating papaya seeds is not known to cause any severe side effects. Additionally, they are edible, though not tasty. You can easily eat and swallow these seeds.
What are the health benefits of papaya seeds?
- Just like the papaya fruit, papaya seeds are also loaded with several nutrients. They are high in natural antioxidants like flavonoids and polyphenols. These antioxidants could protect your body against oxidative damage and reduce the risk of several diseases including diabetes, cancer, and allergies. 
- Papaya seeds offer a rich amount of healthy fats like oleic acid. It is a form of monounsaturated fatty acid that could improve the health and functions of your heart and help to reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels. 
- Eating papaya seeds on a regular basis may help to support a faster weight loss, thanks to the ability of monounsaturated fatty acids to regulate fat metabolism and promote the fat burning processes.
- Papaya seeds are rich in dietary fibers while being low in calories. This offers a perfect combination for people who want to lose weight. The high dietary content would create a sense of fullness in the stomach and reduce your food intake. It will help to control your appetite. Also, it would not increase your total daily calorie intake as they have very few calories. This is how eating papaya seeds would promote faster weight loss. 
- The high fiber content of papaya seeds has also been linked to a reduced risk of stroke, heart diseases, diabetes, and obesity.
- Not many people know that papaya seeds can protect the body against infections. These seeds possess the potential to destroy some forms of fungi and parasites. Papaya seed extract may also be effective against the strains of fungi that cause skin infections.
- Eating papaya seeds is advisable for patients who suffer from kidney disorders. Eating papaya seeds may protect the health and normal functions of the kidneys. It is specifically effective for preventing damage to the kidneys due to the side effects caused by medications.
Papaya seeds offer a great source of nutrients. They also possess strong medicinal properties. So, the next time, you eat papaya, make sure you do not discard the seeds. Enjoy the seeds along with the fruit to improve your health.